Saturday, August 9, 2008

Beijings Got Game



Da__Da__DaDom...Dom...Dom...Dom__DomDom...DaDomDom___DomDomDaDomDomDom!
It is that time again! It only happens every two years...I make up for all of the time I haven't spent watching sports in 17 glorious days. Since I am trapped in "the lab" again, I've got all the time in world!

Last night was the opening ceremonies of the SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES!!! Bottom line--magical. I was blown away by the artistry and talent. Beijings got game! It was literally beautiful. They used fireworks to make giant footprints in the sky leading up to the Olympic Stadium (nicknamed "The Birds Nest" ) where there were 2008 drummers creating, what looked like a digital clock, the count down to the start of the games.

The Bird's Nest looked like it was sparkling! Definitely YouTube worthy if you didn't see it. I get all warm and fuzzy during the opening ceremonies...the whole world coming together in the name of sport. There are always these amazing displays of humanity during the Olympic Games. The athletes are so inspiring and there is this feeling of respect between them.

I absolutely love watching the Olympics, especially the Summer Olympics! Watching the Olympics was always something we would do as a family growing up. I love it! Sadly everyday obligations--work, church, sleep-- keep me from watching EVERY minute. However, there are several events I make a point of watching:

Gymnastics!!! Women's and Men's
Swimming--Go Michael Phelps!
Diving
Track and Field
Basketball--the Dream Team is now known as the Redeem Team. We lost the Gold and took Bronze in Athens. Now is the time to bring home Gold baby!
Beach volleyball

The only downside...the constant reminder of my lack of self-discipline! Does anyone else ever wonder what event they would be competing in if their parents had shipped them off to live with their coach from the time they were 10? Mine--table-tennis or hula hooping (if it were an event). My dad would have been so proud!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I KNOW you would win gold in hula-hooping. You've been the local hula-hooping giant for decades, not a soul had dared dethrone you. I'd be too intimitdated to try.

Jessie said...

I totally missed it, and I feel bad about it. I never miss opening ceremonies. I have to laugh, as a sports-hater, that I do enjoy the Olympics. What is it about the whole world coming together and competing? I don't know, but it even gets ME.
Now I need to go youtube it. Thanks for the idea.

Your recent comments cracked me up, by the way. Maybe I'll make challah at the Feigs this Feb - if there's a bit of extra time (I assume you'll be there).

Mindy said...

I'm with you, Shanna. I love the Olympics so much. I could not BELIEVE the Opening Ceremonies. I was blown away. You know that China isn't going to be out-done by ANYONE! Best Opening Ceremony I've ever seen.
I've stayed up late watching every night. I'm tired (I don't think I'd get much sympathy from Michael Phelps. That guy is a super-hero).

Emily and Clay said...

I too love the Olympics. I did hear a sad rumor about the opening ceremonies though (pre-recorded fireworks)...lets just pretend everything was real. Anywho--I loved the in-sync dancers. How they coordinated that I will never know. It is amazing. I too love that the world can rest from wars and contensions just for a huge sporting event. I love it!

Johnny Metropolis said...

I would have been th worlds fastest swimmer and probably would have gotten 9 swimming medals... IF my parents would have had a foresight.

Jenny said...

I am a total Olympic junkie. I of course consider myself the most important judge of all as I sit on my butt for 6 hours solid every night, wolfing down popcorn and yelling and cheering at my TV. An athlete I am not! But I do appreciate the talents of others.