Friday, August 29, 2008

STONER

About 3 1/2 years ago I missed my flight from Connecticut to Utah. This was when I experienced my very first kidney stone. I was about to make a 7 hour trip home-even boarded the plane-but when I headed straight for the bathroom instead of my seat, I knew I wouldn't make it. I asked the flight attendants to please get my carry-on and I raced to the jet way where an airline employee shoved a barf bag in my face...just in time. Humiliating.

When being discharged from UCONN Health Center ER I asked my doctor what the chances were I may have another stone. He shared with me some interesting statistics...

Every person has a 10% chance of getting a kidney stone.
If you've had one stone, your 90% more likely to have more..."Unfortunately, if you have a second stone, you are what we call...a stoner."

Today I officially became...a STONER. Not just a second stone, but a third as well. I drove myself to one of Salt Lake's finest Emergency rooms this morning and spent the entire work day watching "What Not To Wear" and trying to pee in a cup during commercial breaks. You'll be happy to know that I was finally able to give them a good sample for testing AND the real estate agent from Chicago LOVED her new look!

10 comments:

Laura Lee said...

This is the funniest thing I've read all day.

But sad. Ouch.

ZENGER TEAM! said...

Shanna, you have the most unforunate situations with things like this!

VTS said...

Nice! That's your new nickname from this point on! I'm just calling you stoner starting...now!

Hey! How's it going Stoner?

Joell said...

I also am a STONER and not proud of it! It totally sucks! Even more fun me I only seem to get them when I am pregnant which limits the pain meds! Sorry for your pain and discomfort but good for the girl in Chicago!

Jessie said...

I remember that whole CT thing! I felt so bad for you, and also laughed at how "Shanna" it seemed.
Sorry to hear you're a stoner, though.
At least What Not to Wear could be there for you.

Dana said...

Hey Shanna, I am a stoner too! I just had 2 at the same time measuring 6x4mm and 2x2mm...I also had one while I was pregnant with Jett. I thought I was dying...even though I had an epidural when I had babies I still think kidney stones is worse than ANY labor pains I felt.

I'm sorry you have to be a stoner!

Steph said...

Shanna, that's so sad! I got sick just reading about it. I hope you can still enjoy watching What Not to Wear and that it won't bring back painful memories. If you ever need a ride to the hospital, I'm here for you.

Emily and Clay said...

Shoot! Sorry to hear that!

Jenny said...

Woooohoooo! Aw, dang. Wrong kind of "Stoner".
Sean has had a kidney stone before...thought he was going to die. I suspect he will have more. I could tell from the look on his face that it is the worst pain you can go through, even worse than labor I am told. And labor hurts. Like reeeaaallllyyy bad. Like you want to die. So, I am so sorry you had to go through all that, my stoner friend.

Natalie said...

Well, just read the blog after a month here. A month exactly, as a matter of fact. I've neglected all the blogs, especially my own dull blogitty blog. So I guess I feel bad that this is the first I've heard of your recent stoner spells. I'm super sad for you. I would have brought you cranberry juice and craisins and made you cranberry popsiclesj in the freezer with a spoon sticking out. But I didn't and now I'm feeling like a bad friend. Love you Shan.