Monday, August 27, 2007

ALL GROWN UP!

Last month I took a small road trip with a couple of girlfriends to California and of course since we were in the car together for hours on end we had the opportunity to discuss the secrets of life. You know, things like boys, hair, single-life, losing weight, etc. But one of the best conversations we had was about growing up....

We (Me, Allison Travis, and Kristi Sorenson) decided that there are certain events or decisions that one makes that take them into the true realm of being a "grown up". Everyone first thinks of the obvious milestones in a person's life, i.e. getting married, having children, or having a mortgage. These are all good things that certainly require a more mature mindset and plenty of responsibility, but I would like to add to this list of what makes a person truly grown up. Here are some of the things we came up with on our long drive to and from Cali that essentially changed us, made us....GROWN UP!

1. Choosing to wear sunscreen---I'm talking nothing less than SPF 30 to protect against the suns harmful rays. (Kristi)
2. Driving in California--Freeways and city streets. This really only applies to a person who isn't used to constant traffic and jammed freeways. (Allison)
3. Being able to navigate straight to a location out-of-state that you have only been to one other time, without using Mapquest. (Shanna)

Of course there are probably more signs of growing up that we didn't come up with. Which is why I'd like to ask all of you fellow bloggers and closet bloggers to please add to my list! I would love to hear some of the things that make you feel "grown up" :)

Oh, one more thing to add to the list...
4. Choosing to spend your money on things other that clothes, music, movies, or eating out--Just today I bought a new comforter for my bed and am so looking forward to getting new sheets and a duvet. I'm very excited about having a "grown up" bedroom.
5. Going ga-ga over washers and dryers in the "Mega Labor Day Sale" at RC Willey (Lydia)
6. Being able to say "NO" and mean it--This also includes being able to send food back at a resturaunt and making sure you're not overcharged for something. (Jenny)
7. Having a checkbook and actually balancing it--I have yet to master this one. Oops, I know. Good job Emily!
8. Comparing and contrasting the pros and cons of anti-aging treatments--Look for a good magic trick to post-postponing wrinkles. (Natalie)
9. Hiring the Deacon down the street who refers to you as "Sister _____", to mow your lawn--Sister Buttars in Natalie's case!
10. Being seriously exhausted and are positive it must be well past midnight, only to glance up and see a red 9:45 glaring back at you from the clock--Amen! Amen! (Jealin)

12 comments:

Jenny said...

I think the thing that made me feel grown up the most was learning to say "NO" to people and meaning it...AND not feeling guilty afterward. I didn't really hit this milestone until I was 30. (Yes, I was a push-over). Standing up to someone, sending my food back at a restaurant if it is wrong, and making sure I am not overcharged for something are a few others...because that kind of thing used to embarrass/mortify me in my teens and 20's.
I am turning 35 this year and I still don't feel like a "grown-up" though. :)

Emily and Clay said...

I would have to agree about the mortgage thing making you feel like an adult. However, the thing that made me feel like I was "grown up" was getting a check book and actually balancing it. I learned the real concept of money and how to pay for myself (looking back how nice it would be to only have to buget the $10 a week of lunch money!).

lydia said...

Today upon getting the RC Willey "Mega Labor Day Sale" add in the mail, I found myself completely overlooking the "best deal of the season" on the 50" plasma screen HDTVs, and ga-ga-ing over the large capacity, front loading washers and dryers. Needless to say, I thought of your post and how this MUST qualify me as an adult!

Natalie said...

What about contrasting and comparing the pros and cons of anti-aging treatments? Does this qualify me as an adult? To be honest, I'm already quite concerned about wrinkles at the tender age of 26. If anyone's heard of a good magic trick, I'm all ears.

Natalie said...

Oh - What about hiring the deacon down the street to come mow my lawn? He'll be here in an hour He calls me "Sister Buttars" and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Natalie said...

Oh- what about hiring the deacon down the street to come mow my lawn? (We don't own a lawnmower yet) He calls me "Sister Buttars" and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Natalie said...

OOPS to the above double posting. My screen went back to my home page and I thought it deleted it so I typed it again, and then there it was! So you're welcome for 4 comments on one post!

Shanna said...

These comments are FANTASTIC! Thank you for adding to my list.

P.S. My new bedding looks fabulous! I love it!

Jer and Jealin said...

Hi Shanna,

Your call out to the closet bloggers pulled me out of my shell. I have been secretly stalking you blog! I got the link from Lydia's page. I had to comment on this because I have been thinking along the same lines. I definetly have grown since I have mastered changing poopy diapers and cleaning up barf with out vomitting myself. But what makes me feel the most grown up is when I am seriously exhausted and am positive that it is well past midnight only to glance at the clock and see the red 9:45 glaring back at me.

Anyway, hope you are doing well! I love to read your blog, keep up the good work.

Shanna said...

Wow Jealin! Thanks for your comment. It is so good to hear from you! I'm glad that sharing my own experience with closet-blogging and how I was able to overcome it actually inspired someone else to step out into the light! YAY!

Jess said...

While I was sitting at a stop light the other day, my attention turned to the kids in the car next to me. 1992 Honda Civic, jam packed with high school kids, blaring their horribly raunchy rap music, you know the drill. Anyway - at that moment, this thought actually ran through my mind: "Gee, I sure wish those darn kids would turn that noisy racket down." Now Shann, I'm not sure this instance technically qualifies as being "grown up", but I certainly felt my age all of my sudden. It WAS too loud though. Poor kids are going to damage ther ear drums...

Laura Lee said...

Good post Shann. I'm trying to think what made me feel grown up. Buying nice furniture makes me feel grown up. I mean, furniture that has staying power, not "Oh I'll buy this desk because it's cheap and it will do what I need it to do."

Also, paying bills always makes me feel grown up.

Buying flowers for myself to put in my house makes me feel grown up.

Reading the newspaper makes me feel grown up.