Thursday, February 14, 2008

This is not a pitty-party post!

It's Valentines Day. It's 10:44 at night. I'm sitting at work. Am I feeling aware that I'm single right now? Hmmm.

As I reflect back on this last week I've made some funny observations...
1) I've watched 3 chick-flicks in 3 days...two of which with a Jane Austen theme. I adore Jane Austen stuff. I'm a total romantic, so much so that when I'm love sick, I'll binge on her movies and be perfectly content watching them hundreds of times (alone).

2) Every night before I've gone to bed (at 10:30) I've listened to Carrie Underwood's new album, "Carnival Ride"...mostly the slow songs. I've not always been a huge Carrie fan. In fact, I only put her on my iPod when I found she was on my roommates laptop. I'm actually okay that no one is usually home, that way I can sing whatever I want at the top of my lungs! It's entirely liberating for me.

3) Tonight as I have done the routine blog check and some good exploring, I have found that I'm usually the only "single" on everyone's blog list. I'll get excited when I see a single name...*click* Oh! what a darling picture of someone's husband and child.

And finally....
4) I had a telephone interview today with the Chief Radiation Therapist at a hospital in Connecticut and realized, if necessary, I could pick up my ENTIRE life and move there in a week (maybe two, so I could give my work notice). No prob. AND my only concern about moving out-of-state would be if there are enough dating "options", for lack of a better word.

Huh. These things haven't made me feel sorry that I'm single, but have made my singleness more real--palpable. I do look forward to marriage. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

10 comments:

Maria said...

Shanna!!! YOU CAN DO IT!! Trust me-I know that it is a totally scary thought to get up and leave! Come out to the east coast - you know you love it.

I promise to go visit you if you promise to come up to Manhattan to vist me! ;) Love you and good luck with making that big decision.

lydia said...

I thought of you last night, Shan, but not with pity necessarily. Your post actually said what I was thinking, that although it may not bother a person that they are single on Valentine's Day, it can't help but make them aware of it.

Oh, and watching Jane Austen movies alone isn't reserved for the single...I watched Book Club by myself last week and we rented Becoming and another movie last night and one of Mike's arguments for the other movie was that I could "just watch Becoming tomorrow on my own." Which I will. No biggie.

I know this is already becoming a long comment, but I have to add that I have mixed feelings about you moving to CT, if that's what ultimately happens. I will SO miss you, but it does give me a DANG good excuse to get my buns out there. And on the topic of available single, male, options? I just really hope it's better than when we were out there 7 years ago. But then, Derek is probably still single...*shudder*

Shanna said...

Lyd-Ew. I'm still deciding if that's funny. Derek?

Maria-It a deal! If I move out there I will for sure come and see you and you will have to for sure come up to West Hartford for Shabbos dinner with me and the Feigenbaums (my nanny family). You will not be disappointed! Mmmm...Matza Ball Soup.

Jessie said...

Marriage is wonderful, but it's also weird. So...I know you know this already, but enjoy those alone moments. Soak 'em up. I still have times where I wish I could have the bed to myself. I'm still not used to having someone next to me while I sleep, even 5 years later. I know, I'm a weirdo. Anyway, I'm not complaining - just giving a little perspective.

Also - you are one of the cutest, most amazing women I know, so there must be a reason.

I'll be jealous if you move to CT. Keep us posted on that! I talked to the Feigs the other day, and they mentioned that possibility. How fun! Say no to Derek. No no no. Just wait for the summers when all the interns come in, and scope them out.

hmilne said...

Prince Charming is out there writing similar things on his blog...he will come! You are very beautiful, funny and wonderful. Thanks for the Lori intervention, because of her email, I will never be able to post pictures of Addy eating her first happy meal on my blog!

Mindy said...

Shanna, next time I see you I want to hear you sing "I Know You Won't" from Carrie's new CD. I can't sing those higher notes worth crap, but I bet you'd give Carrie a run for her money.

Anonymous said...

Shanna! I'm so glad you commented on my blog. I realized as I was reading your words, that I was smiling really big. I love you...you crack me up, big time! I'll keep checking back with you....you do the same! Good luck with the decisions ahead.

Natalie said...

Hold the phone - is Maria living in Manhattan now? Is this the same Maria that I used to have visiting teaching parties with? The sort of scratchy picture next to her comment looks strikingly similar to the Maria I'm speaking of.

Back to you Shan- So there is this really attractive new pediatrics resident that is single and an RM that I was working up the courage to ask if I could set up with you. Then, yesterday in the hall at work, one of the nurses pulled me aside to whisper about their date the night before and how he totally tried to kiss her on the first date, and my heart broke a little (she's a twice divorced 20-something nurse, by the way). I had the whole scenario worked out in my head: you'd go on one date, fall in love, and he'd be the reason you don't move to Connecticut.
Now what am I supposed to do? I'll keep thinking. I strongly believe in blind dates.

Browns said...

Hey Shanna! Long time no see. SO I was doing what you call 'blog stalking' and look I came across yours! Hope all is well, would love to hear from you.

Lacey said...

I love you Shan! You are such an incredible woman...what is this about moving to Connecticut? Ok...please update. If you do decide to go, I hope I get to see you before you leave!