Friday, March 14, 2008

10,000 seconds of my life I'll never get back!


I know that I'm no Siskel, or Ebert, or even Roeper for that matter, but I'm going to give the new film "10,000 BC" two enthusiastic thumbs DOWN. My roommate and I went with some friends from our ward to see this supposed "epic depiction of life at the dawn of civilization" and instead we were all epically disappointed. The only redeeming factors were 1) we had free passes to get in, thus not wasting our own money and 2) the ice cream cones provided by Beau and Jessi were delicious(I love swirly cones!).

When the movie was over, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to express how ridiculous I thought this movie was and would have keep my comments to myself (in order to not sound ungrateful for the free pass)...much to my delight we all agreed that:

  • The story line was lame--it was like a bad rendition of the story of Moses mixed with the story of Troy, but with made up legends and names no one can remember or pronounce.

  • We were all sure that the "spear-tooth" (translation: sabor -tooth) was going to start talking to the main character and offer to let him climb up on his back and take him the rest of his journey.

  • The old wise-lady from the village was the scariest part.

...And last of all, everyone sounded like Madonna--you know, kind of spoke with a quasi-English accent and never used conjunctions (can't, won't, didn't, etc.)

Bottom line...awful. Just plain awful!




11 comments:

lydia said...

I'm sorry you had to endure that! Mike and I haven't had the "should we see it?" talk yet....probably because we were iffy to begin with, but your esteemed review seals the deal!

p.s. what are you doing tonight? Mike is at a Halo sleepover with a buddy, so I'm home alone, looking for something to do.

Hilda said...

Sounds painful. I was going to go, but then decided to get sleep instead. I'm glad I chose the latter....

brianneburns said...

Hey! I looked up your blog - are you happy? It took me forever because I didn't know your username. I'm glad you didn't like the movie because now I can tell Joey it was stupid (he wanted to see it)and we can go see Penelope instead! One question - does James use his Scottish accent in the film?

Lacey said...

Good to know...Cam really wants to go and see it so I can send him without going! :) Thanks for saving me!

Cameron's Corner said...

So was it pretty good then?

Jessie said...

Dude, do what I do and check rottentomatoes.com before seeing or renting a movie. It's been right on track for me every time.

Funny, though. You make me laugh.

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

Shanna Hey! Long time no talk to! I work with Janie who found your blog through a friend who let me know you have a blog - so here I am! We are getting together soon (maybe in a few weeks) keep your calendar open. See me at vonsocialbutterfly.blogspot.com!

Emily and Clay said...

Good to know. Like everyone else I too have wondered if I should go see it. Thanks for the heads up.

I think giving reviews on movies to save other poeople some pain is a great idea!

The Cooper's said...

Thanks for the heads up but since I can't seem to ever get York to take me to the movie, I doubt we'd be seeing it! Sorry you had to sit through it!

Shanna said...

YAY! BriAnne found my blog! I'm so happy right now. She is the only person in my family that seems to take interest in what's going on in my little blogging world. Thanks BriAnne for visiting...come back VERY SOON! I LOVE YOU!

Natalie said...

I'm a week late, but just 3 hours ago we were having the "what movie sounds good" discussion. My mom voted for 10,000 BC. I voted for I Am Legend at the Redbox. If only I had read your blog sooner I could have had a better argument against it. But I won anyway, and 4 Redbox stops later, we borrowed I Am Legend from a neighbor we ran into while at the Smiths redbox. The lady in front of me at the final redbox stop got the last one!